Tuesday 26 February 2013

Sweet and Sour Calamari

I would love to say that I'm the type of person that loves all kinds of seafood but some like oysters and mussels I just don't enjoy. They have an 'ick' factor that I just can't get past. However I do very much enjoy squid/calamari when it is done right and when I don't have to prep the whole squid from scratch.

This recipe is really quick and simple and one that I've made again and again.



Sweet and Sour Calamari
Servings: 2, Serving size:1/2 Recipe, Calories: 232 Calories per serve

Ingredients:
300g Celery, chopped finely
1 Medium Onion, chopped finely
1 tsp Garlic
375g Calamari (In large pieces preferably not rings)
125 ml (1/2 Cup) of Stock, Fish or Vegetable
1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2.5 Tbs Tomato Paste
1/4 Cup Water
2 Drops of Stevia or other sweetener (You could also substitute some honey)
Salt
Pepper
Oil Spray

1. Chop calamari into pieces around 4cm each:

2. Spray a large pan with oil and heat to medium.
3. Add garlic, onion and celery. Let it cook for around 5 minutes:
4. Add the calamari and stock and stir. Cover with a lid and let it cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Add the vinegar, tomato paste, water, stevia and salt and pepper.
6. Turn the heat to medium-low and let it cook for another 10 minutes until the calamari and celery are tender.
7. Serve up with either brown rice or as I did the other day some nice crusty sourdough rye bread, just make sure to add on the calories for these additions.

More recipes to come.

Are there any recipes you would like to see healthified?

No comments:

Post a Comment